Established in 2016 by SCAD Heart Attack survivors, SCAD Research Inc. is a non-government funded charity dedicated to changing the outcome for SCAD Heart Attack sufferers across Australia. Founded and run by heart attack survivors, we are on a mission to improve the diagnosis, treatment and survival rates for every Mum, sister, Dad, brother or friend who suffers a heart attack – to save their life and minimise the chances of recurrence.
Our strategic objectives are to:
- Generate awareness of SCAD Heart Attacks both within the community and amongst health professionals. We will educate people that healthy, fit adults have heart attacks too, encouraging people to seek urgent medical advice if they have symptoms, regardless of their age, weight or fitness level, and urging medical professionals to treat their symptoms with urgency.
- Raise much needed funds for medical research into the optimal diagnosis, treatment, and ultimately prevention of SCAD Heart Attacks. To date we’ve donated over $50,000 to SCAD Medical Studies at the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute and Mayo Clinic
- Support SCAD survivors by providing up to date information about Living with SCAD Heart Attacks, resources to support their recovery, and opportunities to connect through our main fundraisers – 5k SCADaddles for Research held across Australia throughout the year.
Founding Committee for SCAD Research Inc 2017.
Research & Advocacy
The team at SCAD Research Australia, together with SCAD Heart Attack Survivors across Australia are proud to attend medical industry events, forums and conferences to share SCAD Stories and raise the profile of SCAD Heart Attacks within the medical community. These have included:
- The Heart Foundation’s Women & Heart Forum in 2017 and 2019
- Speaking at the ACRA (Australian Cardiac Rehab) NSW & ACT Conference in 2016,17,18, including a panel of SCAD survivors answering questions at the University of Sydney in 2016
- Attending the NSW Cardiac Research Network Showcase & Awards Ceremony 2018 as a guest of the National Heart Foundation
- Speaking on SCAD in the NSW Nurses Education Program in 2018
- Jen O’Neil speaking at Gosford Womens Heart Event for the Heart Foundation
- Attending the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute women’s heart lunch 2019 where survivor Liza was interviewed by M.C. Edwina Bartholomew
- Attending & Speaking on behalf of SCAD Heart Attack survivors at the RNS Media Conference where Minister Greg Hunt announced NSW funding
SCAD Research Inc continues to apply for community, government and private grants to fund SCAD communication and to build resources. We have successfully been awarded:
- Women & Heart Disease Grant from the Heart Foundation to create and run SCAD awareness video in NSW.
- Community Underwriting Insurance $2k grant to run SCAD video in other states across Australia
- AMP Foundation grant for $5k which has funded this website as well as SCAD branded merchandise and event signage
- IMB Community Foundation grant for $10k to fund SCAD Resource kits for patients and medical professionals including patient brochures
The SCAD Video has now been seen by over 150,000 people via social media and online advertising with 106,000 views in full.
If you would like a SCAD Survivor or member of SCAD Research Inc. to share their experience or educate your team or organisation about SCAD Heart Attacks, please email Sarah at info@SCADResearch.com.au
Who We Are
SCAD Research Inc Australia is led by Founder & President Sarah Ford, with a management committee of Jillian Coe (Hobart SCAD Survivor), Tito Machado (Personal Trainer and Dietitian), Joanne Milburn (SCAD Advocate), Ian Naylor (co-founder and Public Officer) and Sidney Ford (Finance Professional and Treasurer). With Members from across Australia, SCAD Research Inc is supported by State Based co-ordinators who run our major fundraisers – 5k SCADaddles for Research: Luisa (Brisbane), Veronica (Melbourne), Jill (Hobart), Lynne (Launceston), Sarah (Sydney), and Marisa (Perth) who are all SCAD Heart Attack Survivors.
Get in touch
SCAD Research Australia email email@example.com
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute SCAD Study email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayo Clinic SCAD Study email email@example.com
Australian Cardiovascular Health & Rehabilitation Association on +612 9431 8653
Our sister charity SCAD Research Inc U.S. http://scadresearch.org/
If you experience any heart attack symptoms call Triple Zero (000) immediately.